- IoT device turns any fridge into a ‘smart’ fridge – at a fraction of the cost
- Can help to reduce the £470 worth of food wasted on average by UK households every year
Basingstoke, 14 December 2017 – Tech Data Corporation (Nasdaq: TECD) has added the amazing Smarter FridgeCam, which allows you to see the contents of your fridge from anywhere via a smartphone app and help track expiry dates, auto-replenish and suggest recipes based on the food in your fridge, to its smart home portfolio.
Billed as the ‘world’s first wireless fridge camera that can retrofit inside any refrigerator’, the FridgeCam takes a snapshot of the contents of the fridge every time the door is opened and sends the image straight to the owner’s smartphone.
The device uses object recognition to keep track of food items and will send notifications when items are about to expire. Users can set up the app to add favourite items to a shopping list. They can even order replenishments automatically connecting the Smarter app to their preferred supermarket online store.
Importantly, the FridgeCam is affordable and accessible solution and can be retro-fitted to any fridge at a fraction of the cost of a new ‘smart’ refrigerator. It also helps to cut food waste. The average UK household throws away £470 worth of food each year and around 7.3 million tonnes of food that could have been eaten is wasted every year*. This is the figure for the average UK household; for households with children the average is £700 a year.
The FridgeCam is easy to set-up and has both WiFi and Bluetooth. It has a three-month battery life and is recharged via USB.
Teresa Johnston, Retail Account Director at Tech Data, said: “The FridgeCam is a great addition to our portfolio, expands our reach into the ‘connected kitchen’ and really brings the concept alive. There are some smart fridges around now but the FridgeCam can work with any fridge – old or new – and it is a fraction of the cost. It’s remarkably simple to use and works very well indeed. By minimising food waste it’s got the potential to be a real hero product at the heart of the connected home and spark further interest in smart devices.”
- Compatible with iOS and Android devices.
- Out-of-date tracker – reminds you before items expire
- Expiry date reminders – push notifications on items about to expire via the Smarter app
- Recognise and Remember – FridgeCam recognises food items and new items can be added easily to continually keep up to date
- Shopping Basket – add expired or used food items to your personal shopping basket
- Replenishment – connect to your preferred supermarket online store through the Smarter app
- ‘At The Shop’ reminders – get reminders of what you need to buy when passing your preferred local grocery store
- Smarter Chef – recipe suggestions based on the contents of your fridge helps to avoid wastage
- Integration – connect FridgeCam to other smart home devices
Picture: Teresa Johnston, Tech Data.